lunes, 21 de abril de 2014

First time ringing in Scotland

*Las entradas sobre Escocia las escribo en inglés

Saturday morning I attended my first bird ringing session in Scotland, at the same place I went birdwatching for first time. 

I've always been ringing with mist nets, but this time I learned how to use another kind of net, whooshnet, which is so interesting as you can choose which birds you catch since you can decide when to activate it.

Whooshnet ready to catch some linnets and one goldfinch

So here there is my first ringed bird. It's a young female of Linnet (Carduelis cannabina). Almost all the birds captured were Linnets, except a single Blackbird (Turdus merula), a single Skylark (Alauda arvensis), and a single Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis), all of them residents in the area.

♀ Linnet - Pardillo común - Passerell comú (Carduelis cannabina)

Skylark - Alondra común - Alosa vulgar (Alauda arvensis)

♂ Golffinch - Jilguero - Cadernera (Carduelis carduelis)

Another interesting fact is the bird bags they use. Those bags don't have any string to tie, so they  are held in a folding table with special holes made to hang the bags with birds inside.



By the way, I saw my first Swallow (Hirundo rustica) in 2014, almost two months later on than I used to do in Spain.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario